//Mike Ulm is an Illustrator at Columbia College Chicago with a focus on Comic Book + Concept Art. He has done previous work + commissions for clothing + shoe designs, character art, a published comic,a student film, galleries, + card sales.
Michael strives to use his art for world building: using his highly detailed style + expressive lines to create work that engages his audiences + pushes creative thinking. Some influences he utilizes to accomplish this are his studies in anthropology as well as sociology, his emphasis on story development + ideation before + during his concept art, + the variety of media he takes in from film, comics, as well as video games.
Some of his success has been shown over his experience as an illustrator with his comic "Banders Robs a Bank" being featured + published in Columbia's annual anthology "Linework Volume 8", the work he features and sells at ShopColumbia, the card sales he sells at through his position as Treasurer in the Illustration Student Group in college, + the 5 on his AP Studio Art portfolio.
He accomplishes his art through a variety of mediums, including digital (Procreate/Photoshop), traditional medias of ink, marker, colored pencil, + water color, + through creative writing which he channels into his comic creation.
- Comicopolis Tabling Artist- Summer 2018
- ColumCon Tabling- May 2018
- Production Assistant & Featured Artist-Glass Curtain Gallery 2018 Portrait Show
- CAKE Tabling Artist-May 2018
- Moon Miner (Student film)-Illustrator + Graphic Designer-Spring 2018
- Illustration Student Group Treasurer- Spring 2018-Present
- Illustration Student Group Card Sales- Contributing Artist + Tabler-Fall 2017-Present
- ShopColumbia "March of Miniatures"- Gallery Artist- March 2018
- Linework Vol. 8- Published Illustrator + Comic Artist-Spring 2018
- Nominee for "Best New Illustrator"- Columbia College Chicago IC3-Fall 2017
- Senior Late Night T-Shirt Designer-Spring 2015